Kiwi is an edible fruit that originates from China over 5000 years ago. Currently, other countries like New Zealand grow kiwi in large scale for its demand. There are three types of kiwi fruit:
- Actinidia deliciosa (Grocery store kiwifruit)
- Actinidia arguta (Hardy kiwifruit)
- Actinidia kolomikta (Super-hardy kiwifruit)
The most common type of kiwi fruit is grocery kiwifruit. It’s readily available and edible. Kiwi comes in various colors: green, golden, brown, purple, and red. The fruit is rich in vitamin C and dietary fiber, which will provide you with good health benefits. You should therefore add kiwi fruit to your diet to stay healthy.
So, can you eat kiwi skin? Yes. Though hairy, kiwi skin is nutritious and sweet. It’s rich in fiber and vitamins. All you need to do is wash the fruit first to remove any dirt, cut your cut without peeling off the skin and eat it. You will notice that the fruit is still delicious with the skin on.
Is Kiwi Skin Bad For You?
No. Kiwi skin is healthy as most of the fiber and antioxidants are in the skin. The skin is rich in vitamin C and vitamin E that help protect your body. The skin also contains folate that helps in cell growth and to prevent defects during pregnancy.
However, kiwi skin can be irritating for some people and irritate their mouths. The fruit can also cause some oral allergy-like swollen lips itching mouth, and throat inflammation. If you have a severe allergy, it’s best to avoid the fruit.
The kiwi skin also contains oxalates that can affect people with kidney stones condition. The oxalates combine with calcium and form painful stones for people with the condition. Therefore, it’s good to be cautious with kiwi stones or avoid eating them altogether.
What are the Benefits of Kiwi Skin?
Whether you choose to eat the fruit with the skin or not, it has a variety of health benefit which is good for you. Eating kiwi fruit regularly can help alleviate the symptoms of asthma that include wheezing and difficulty in breathing. The vitamin C from Kiwi can help improve your lungs functioning and control the symptoms.
So what are the health benefits of kiwi skin? They help regulate blood pressure, improve your digestive system, control asthma symptoms, and aid in weight loss.
Kiwi fruit contains dietary fiber and actinidin enzyme, which help digestion and break down proteins in your gut. So, it’s good to grab a piece of kiwi after eating a huge meal to help digestion and prevent bloating. Kiwi fruit helps your digestive system to stay healthy and function properly.
Kiwi fruit helps to control and manage your blood pressure. The fruit contains vitamin C that helps to reduce your blood pressure. In addition, kiwis are rich in lutein that acts as antioxidants, regulating your pressure. Therefore, you could eat at least 1 kiwi a day if you have the condition.
The concentration of vitamin C in kiwi fruit will help against blood clotting and reduce excessive bleeding. Kiwi can keep your skin hydrated and healthy by improving your skin structure. This will give you flourishing skin and help you to treat acne or embarrassing pimples.
Eating kiwi skin can be ideal for people trying to lose weight. They are low in calories and high in fiber. This helps to increase the feeling of fullness for a longer period. Besides, you’re able to avoid unhealthy eating habits by having kiwi as a snack or in smoothies.
What is the Nutritional Value of Kiwi Fruit?
Kiwis are good for you, and they are rich in nutrients and vitamins. Whether you decide to eat with the skin or not, they are a good source of fiber, vitamin C and Vitamin E contents that act as antioxidants. They help to protect and keep your body healthy.
A 100 gram of kiwi fruit provides the following nutrients:
- 61 calories
- 0.5 gram of fat
- 3 Mg of sodium
- 15 gram of carbohydrates
- 9 gram of sugar
- 3 gram of dietary fiber
- A gram of protein
How Do You Select the Best Kiwi Fruit?
Kiwis are healthy fruits that can stay fresh for some time if well stored. If you are to eat the kiwi skin, you need to select the small ones as their skin is still smooth and easy to digest. Ensure that you choose a ripe kiwi. Wash to remove germs and dirt and you can also soak for a few minutes to remove all the dirt before consuming.
You can also add the fruit to your smoothies and salads. If you have kiwifruits in excess, you can also make a healthy jam by blending kiwis with honey, lime juice, mango, and pepper. To ensure that your kiwi stays fresh, you can refrigerate them when they are ripe. This will help your kiwis last for 3- 4 weeks.
- Kiwi is an edible fruit that originates from China. It varies in color from green, golden, brown, purple, and red. You can eat kiwi skin as it’s healthy and rich in fiber and vitamins that will help your body.
- Kiwi skin is not bad for you. They are rich in fiber, vitamin C and vitamin E, and folate. However, kiwi skin can cause some allergies like swollen lips and an itchy mouth for some people. It’s also not suitable for people with kidney stone condition.
- Kiwi skin is nutritious and helps your body to stay healthy. They contain vitamins that protect against free radicals that can damage your cells.
- The fruit is also very sweet, and whether you eat with skin or not, it has various health benefits. They contain dietary fiber that will help in weight loss. The vitamins help to control and manage your blood pressure. Also, kiwi skin can help to improve your digestive system.
- To enjoy the kiwi skin, ensure to select the small one as they have tender skin. Wash the fruit first to remove germs and dirt. You can add kiwifruit in your salads, smoothies and also make a healthy spreading (jam). To enjoy your fresh kiwifruit, ensure that you refrigerate them.