Sugarcane refers to several species of tall perennial grass that people use to process sugar. The plants have stout jointed stalks about 3-6 meters tall with fibrous residue rich in sucrose. Sugarcane is known to have originated from Southeast Asia, but today it’s grown globally.
Sugarcane grows in tropical and subtropical areas with a continuous supply of water. The plant can grow on various soils ranging from highly fertile, well-drained, and infertile lands. The stems grown in cane stalk take about 12 -14 months to mature and are ready for harvesting.
So, can you eat sugarcane? Yes, you can eat sugarcane as they are edible and sweet. To eat sugarcane, you first remove the outer layer and then chew to extract the juice rich in fiber and other nutrients.
How Can You Eat Sugarcane?
You might notice the availability and affordability of sugarcane at your nearby market place or even a sugarcane vendor around you. You can’t go wrong with chewing the stalks and squeezing the juice as it will boost your energy. The juice will also help prevent dryness and fatigue by building up your body with plasma and body fluid.
How can you eat sugarcane? You can eat it as a snack by chewing or blending it to make sugarcane juice. The juice will solve your dehydration issue and boost your immunity. As a natural remedy, the juice can help calm your headache and manage your cold.
To make the sugarcane juice, you wash and peel off the out layers, cut into small pieces and then blend. You can add some ginger, lemon juice, and ice cubes to compliment the taste. To get a fair and smooth juice, you extract the blended juice through a filter. You finally get your juice, which is healthy and delicious.
Is Sugarcane Bad For You?
No. Sugarcane has natural sugars and contains other essential ingredients that your immune system requires to stay healthy. However, it would be best if you did not consume a lot of sugarcane as this can have slightly negative effects on some people. The side effects are extremely minimal compared to the benefits.
Sugarcane contains a policosanol compound known to cause insomnia, migraines, dizziness, upset stomach, and weight loss. Some people may also experience irritability skin and trouble in urination.
These effects may cause pain and discomfort and may even get severe. For this reason, you should moderate your consumption of Sugarcane and consult a doctor or a nutritionist if you are in a lot of pain.
What is the Nutritional Value Of Sugarcane?
Sugarcane helps to low your overall cholesterol levels in your body. It contains no fat and is naturally sweet. In addition, sugarcane contains adequate amounts of potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, thiamin, and riboflavin (vitamin B2), essential for your body.
A glass of sugarcane juice per serving (28.35 grams) is high in fiber and contains:
- 30 grams of Sugar
- 180 calories
- 27.51 grams of carbohydrates
- 0.27 grams of protein
- 1% Calcium
- 1% Potassium
- 1% Sodium
- 3% Iron
These nutrients help to improve your well being, reduce the risk of some diseases and give you the ability to recover from illnesses.
What are the Benefits of Sugarcane Juice?
Sugarcane juice is rich in minerals such as phosphorous and calcium, which helps keep your teeth healthy and prevent tooth decay. The juice can also be used as a home remedy to remove bad breath that can embarrass and lower your self-esteem.
Sugarcane juice can help keep your skin hydrated, glowing and prevent skin infections. It contains hydroxy acid and glycolic that also prevents acne and keeps your skin flourishing. The antioxidants and flavonoids compounds help keep your skin healthy and delay signs of wrinkles and aging.
The high contents of iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium in sugarcane juice can be useful for a cancer patient. The high alkaline from the minerals keeps breast and prostate cancer at bay. More so, the alkaline properties help treat acidity and stomach burns. It would help if you, therefore, consumed sugarcane juice regularly.
Besides, Sugarcane can help in weight loss as it contains natural sugars and has no cholesterol. It’s high in soluble fiber, which makes it ideal for reducing your weight. You’re also able to stay healthy and minimize unhealthy eating habits.
Drinking at least 1-2 glasses of sugarcane juice daily can be a healthy remedy that will strengthen your liver and manage jaundice. It helps your body with lost proteins that speed up your recovery of jaundice.
If you have a sore throat, you can also take sugarcane juice as it contains natural glucose, which your body needs to maintain stamina.
Lastly, the next time you’re in the market, ensure that you purchase some sugarcane and enjoy its benefit. Since the sugars are easily absorbable, you can regain your energy and feel refreshed after a long day.
- Sugarcane refers to several species of tall perennial grass that we use in the production of sugar. The stalks are rich in sucrose and are 3-6 meters tall. Sugarcane is believed to have originated from Southeast Asia.
- Sugarcane plants grow in both tropical and subtropical regions and take about 12-14 months to mature and ready to harvest. You can eat sugarcane, and it’s delicious and healthy.
- Sugarcane is not bad for you. However, it can give you some side effects if you consume it in excess. You might experience insomnia, migraines, upset stomach, and skin irritability.
- The plant is rich in nutrients and minerals. It contains adequate potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, thiamin, and riboflavin (vitamin B2), essential for your body. It’s also high in soluble fiber.
- You either chew sugarcane as a snack by extracting the juice or blend it and make sugarcane juice, which is nutritious and sweet.
- Sugarcane juice has a wide range of benefits. It can help boost your energy, prevent tooth decay and bad breath, strengthen your liver and treat jaundice, keep your skin healthy and prevent skin infections. Also, sugarcane juice can treat sore throat, stomach burns and prevent acidity.