Cookie dough is a mixture of cookie ingredients that have been mixed into a malleable shape and has not yet been heat-cooked. You can make cookie dough at home with typical ingredients like butter, flour, salt, eggs, white sugar, and vanilla extract. No thickening agent is added to the dough such as baking powder or baking soda.
However, if the cookie dough is intended to be used to bake cookies then you can add baking powder or baking soda. A common variant that can be made by adding chocolate chips to the mix is chocolate chip cookie dough.
Cookie dough can be handmade or ordered in pre-made packets. They are often packaged and sold together with sweets, such as ice cream, cookies, and milkshakes. There are edible cookie dough that can be eaten without frying or baking and they are commonly seen in ice-creams. Most times, they are made with raw eggs and heat-treated flour. Also, you can get them in different flavors.
Cookie dough is popularly made into cookies by baking it in the oven but can you microwave cookie dough? Yes, you can microwave cookie dough. Microwave the dough at 30-second intervals to achieve a nice crispy texture. A large scoop of cookie dough would need an extra 10 to 15 seconds to heat up.
What You Should Know Before Microwaving Cookie Dough
If you want to microwave your cookie dough, there are some things you should know and take note of before you start. These are safety measures as well as baking tips. The first thing you should know is that you can’t use metal utensils when baking with a microwave.
Safety tip – The microwave and certain metal materials are not compatible. Using a metal spoon or bowl while baking with a microwave may cause an explosion that can result in injuries and also damage the microwave. To be safe, you can make use of utensils made from wood.
The second thing you should know is that you shouldn’t touch or eat straight from the oven since they are baked at a very high temperature, it can hurt. Before you devour them, wait about 20 seconds. Often, just to be safe, use a fork for the first bite. The cookies taste better when you let them cool out before eating.
How to Heat Cookie Dough in the Microwave
You don’t have to go through the stress of putting a lot of cookie dough in the oven when you can microwave a little portion for yourself anytime you want a treat.
Microwaving cookie dough isn’t technical although, you have to follow certain steps to get it right. Using a microwave isn’t the primary way to make cookies but here are the simple steps to get it done:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of butter in a small cup or bowl. You may use the tines of a fork to merge them. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla and milk. In your bowl, add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon whole milk to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Add 3 tablespoons of flour, but start by stirring in just one tablespoon of flour. Then add a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking powder. Add the last 2 tablespoons of your flour and stir until the dry ingredients are properly mixed.
- Set the dough on parchment. Cut out a square of parchment paper that is wide enough. Scoop your cookie dough onto the center of the parchment so that it roughly looks like a ball. Lightly press down on the dough ball to flatten it a little. ( so that it can bake evenly in the microwave). Alternatively, you can scoop the cookie dough into a mug cup. Make sure you melt butter into the mug cup if you want to use this method.
- Place the parchment with your cookie dough onto a microwave-safe plate. Microwave the cookie dough for 30 seconds. If the cookie still looks doughy, you can microwave it for another 5 to 10 seconds depending on the size until it looks baked. Let it cool for a little while before removing the cookie from the parchment
How to Heat-Treat Flour
In case you want to make edible cookie dough, for health reasons you should consider heating the flour. In the process of Heat-treating the flour, you are killing all the bacteria in the flour. This makes the flour safe for no-bake desserts, edible cookie dough, and more.
Fortunately, heat-treating flour is very easy. There are 2 ways you can do this. The first and the best way is to place flour in a bowl and microwave it until it’s 165 degrees warm. The second way is to use the oven to heat the flour. You can preheat the oven to 300 degrees for this procedure, scatter the flour over a baking tray and bake it for two-minute intervals until the temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Right here are some of the frequently asked questions on cookie dough:
How Long Does it Take to Microwave Cookie Dough?
On average, it takes 15 to 45 seconds to microwave cookie dough. It depends on how fast and efficient your microwave is.
What is the Difference Between Cookie Dough and Edible Dough?
The difference between cookie dough and edible dough is the procedure, for making edible dough, it is quite the same as if you were making normal cookie dough but with heat-treated flour and no eggs.