Mozzarella sticks are a great appetizer before the main meal is served. They are made of mozzarella cheese sticks covered in tasty Italian breadcrumbs and are usually cooked to completion by deep frying. Mozzarella sticks usually have a fine golden brown color. Mozzarella sticks can be made from scratch at home.
However, if you don’t have much time on your hands, you can cook frozen mozzarella sticks to completion instead. Frozen packs of mozzarella sticks are easier and faster to cook.
Ideally, frozen mozzarella sticks should be cooked in the oven. If you’re in a situation that requires the mozzarella sticks to be quickly cooked, the microwave is your best option.
So, can you microwave frozen mozzarella sticks? Yes, you can microwave frozen mozzarella sticks. Set the microwave to high and cook the mozzarella sticks at 30-second intervals. Turn the mozzarella sticks over every 30 seconds so that it can cook evenly.
While cooking frozen mozzarella sticks, you must keep in mind that the cheese should melt while the exterior layer is cooked to a crisp. One reason why people choose the oven over a microwave is that the microwave can potentially make the mozzarella sticks soggy. However, with the right steps, you can still cook the mozzarella sticks in the microwave and get good results.
There are some brands of mozzarella sticks that provide instructions for cooking their product in a microwave, while others do not. It is best to purchase mozzarella sticks that have microwaving included in their list of suggested cooking methods; such brands will give better results when cooked in the microwave.
What to Know when Microwaving Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
Although frozen mozzarella sticks are usually cooked in the oven, microwaving is still an effective alternative for cooking them. Mozzarella sticks cooked in the oven will have a crispier texture than the ones cooked in the microwave – but that isn’t really an issue. If the instructions on the packaging say that you shouldn’t cook in the microwave, you’ll just have to make use of the oven.
Brands that suggest cooking mozzarella sticks in the microwave have their own unique set of instructions. You may have to alter the default settings on your microwave when following the instructions provided for cooking your frozen mozzarella sticks.
How to Cook Frozen Mozzarella Sticks in the Microwave
Cooking mozzarella sticks in the microwave is quite simple. The steps you need to follow are:
- Take the frozen mozzarella sticks out of their original packaging and place them on a microwave-safe dish. Spread the individual mozzarella sticks in such a way that there’s enough space between them and they aren’t touching each other. The mozzarella sticks shouldn’t be covered when they’re inside the microwave; covering them will make them turn soggy. Also, cook the mozzarella sticks within 2 hours of opening their packaging.
- Place the microwave-safe dish along with the mozzarella sticks inside the microwave. Set the microwave’s temperature to high and leave the mozzarella sticks to cook for 30 seconds. After the first 30 seconds of cooking, turn the mozzarella sticks on their side and cook for another 30 minutes. Repeat the process till they’re completely cooked.
- Remember that the objective of cooking is to get the cheese melted and the crust crispy. However, because you used a microwave instead of an oven, the crust won’t get as crispy as it normally would in an oven. Using a knife, cut into one of the cooked mozzarella sticks to see if the cheese has already melted.
- Once the mozzarella sticks have been cooked to your satisfaction, take them out of the microwave and serve them on a plate along with your favorite sauce.
Alternative Cooking Methods – Cooking Mozzarella Sticks in the Oven
If you have enough time and energy to cook mozzarella sticks in the oven, here are some easy steps to follow:
- Start by pre-heating the oven to a temperature of 450⁰F. After that, spread the individual mozzarella sticks on a baking sheet. As you spread the mozzarella sticks, make sure that they don’t touch each other – there should be enough space between each of them. You can line the baking sheet with some wax paper so that the mozzarella sticks won’t get stuck on the surface of the baking sheet.
- Leave the mozzarella sticks to cook in the oven for about 10 minutes before taking them out to serve. Let the mozzarella sticks cool for about 60 seconds after they’ve been removed from the oven.
- If there are any leftovers after eating, you can leave them to keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
Now that you know frozen mozzarella sticks can be microwaved, here are answers to some of the other questions you may have:
How long do you air fry frozen mozzarella sticks?
Start by preheating your fryer to a temperature of 360⁰F. After that, allow the frozen mozzarella sticks to cook in the air fryer for about 8 minutes. Check to see if they’re done – the cheese inside should be melted, while the outer part should have a golden brown color and crisp texture.
Can you eat mozzarella sticks left out overnight?
No, you cannot eat mozzarella sticks left out overnight. Mozzarella sticks are a perishable food and they can’t be left exposed to room temperature for more than 2 hours. Any mozzarella stick that has been left at room temperature beyond 2 hours should be discarded.
How long do mozzarella sticks last in the fridge?
Mozzarella sticks usually last between 4 -7 days in the fridge. However, the mozzarella cheese must have either been kept in its original unopened packaging or in some other air-tight container or freezer-safe bag.
Since mozzarella sticks can be cooked in the microwave, you’ll be able to save more time on the cooking process. However, always remember to confirm whether the brand of mozzarella sticks you have is compatible with microwaving. If the manufacturer has advised against it, do not microwave the mozzarella sticks.