You can never go wrong with a glass of milk or a mug of white coffee. It’s not only nutritious, but you can also drink it any time of the day. Evaporated milk may sound complicated, but its canned cow milk that is sugar-free,
Can you use evaporated milk instead of milk? Yes. It gives a creamy texture compared to fresh milk. All you need to do is measure equal amounts of water with evaporated milk, and it will be as good as using fresh milk.
What is the Difference Between Evaporated Milk and Milk?
The difference boils down to flavor. Evaporated milk has a creamy flavor, which you may find unpleasant or better compared to regular milk. You can easily identify evaporated milk due to its thickness compared to regular milk.
Fresh milk has more water content, while evaporated milk has water removed by 60% when making it. The thickness and creamy cannot be ignored when it comes to evaporated milk which you may not find in regular milk.
Evaporated milk has more nutrients than regular milk, giving you energy more than fresh milk. However, both can be used in place of the other and are also nutritious.
Can you mix milk and evaporated milk? It would be best not to mix the two but rather use one in place of the other. Since the two milk types are quite different, it’s good to deal with one type and not ruin your recipes.
Milk is a standard drink used in most homes and is entirely stocked in all grocery stores. Milk comes in many varieties that may include whole milk, skim milk, low-fat milk, oat milk, and almond milk.
Milk contains nutrients that are good for your health and is rich in all the nine amino acids that you need for your body. Some recipes also require the use of milk, and that is why this liquid is quite popular.
Oat milk and almond milk have made it easier for vegans and lactose-intolerant people to enjoy the product. Apart from the common milk that you’re familiar with, evaporated milk has been there. It is also affordable and available for you.
What is Evaporated Milk?
Evaporated milk is another version of milk with a creamy, thick texture and is made by removing 60% of water from fresh milk. The milk is healthy and has no added sugars, which is perfect for managing your weight.
Besides, evaporated milk has a longer shelf life, and you can use it in place of regular milk. Be it in smoothies, coffee, or any other recipes that require the use of milk.
What does this mean? You should stock evaporated milk in your kitchen for those days you’re scarce with regular milk and when you want to add that creamy texture to your dishes.
Is Evaporated Milk Healthy?
Yes. Evaporated milk is rich in calcium, protein, vitamins A and D and also has no added sugars. The nutrients are good for your bones which makes the milk a healthy choice for the entire family. However, evaporated milk contains a higher amount of calories that you may need to check and use in moderation.
There are also varieties of evaporated milk, and you may purchase as per your preference. There is low-fat, whole milk, and fat-free evaporated milk that you can find from your local store. So, if you have not tried using evaporated milk, you can always explore and be the judge.
What are the Different Ways to Use Evaporated Milk?
Evaporated milk can be used for numerous situations and is not a complicated ingredient. So if you’re wondering what to do with the can of evaporated milk, this piece can help you explore.
Making your drinks – You can add the evaporated milk to coffee, tea, smoothies, and hot chocolate. All you need to do is add sugar as per your liking.
In cooking – Evaporated milk pairs well with mashed potatoes. It makes the mashing process easier, and the result of the dish is smooth, creamy, and yummy.
In baking – You can add evaporated milk in place of milk. Ensure you mix equal amounts with water and then add to your baking recipes.
In soups – You can substitute evaporated milk with water. For instance, it pairs well with squash and carrots and adds thickness to them. The creaminess in evaporated milk also makes the difference in salad dressing and pasta.
Best Tips for Storing Evaporated Milk
Storing your evaporated milk is not hard, but you need to keep it fresh and free from contamination.
Below are tips that can help you proper store your evaporated milk:
- The most important is to check the expiry date before purchasing to know the freshness of the milk.
- Store in a cool, dry place like in the pantry. Since evaporated milk is packaged in cans, ensure you do not expose it to water as the cans can rust.
- For leftover evaporated milk, store it in the fridge in an airtight container. This will prevent contamination and expose to flavors of other items in the fridge.
- Ensure you do not store for more than seven days in the fridge. The freshness is best for 5-7 days, and avoid freezing your evaporated milk. It will become watery, which will render it unusable in its best state.
- If there is leakage from the cans or bulging of the lids, you should throw away the evaporated milk.
- You can use evaporated milk instead of milk. It has a creamy texture and is sugar-free.
- Evaporated milk is different from regular milk. The texture, flavor, and water contents are different, but both are nutritious and good for your health.
- Evaporated milk is made by removing 60% of the water from regular milk but still has nutrients, and it’s thick.
- You can use evaporated milk in baking, drinking, soups, and salads.
- To keep your evaporated milk fresh, store it in a cool, dry place and ensure it’s well sealed. Avoid freezing it as it becomes watery.