There is nothing more enjoyable and fulfilling than taking fresh Reese’s peanut butter cups. They are among the top-selling candy brands globally. The combination of chocolate and peanut butter gives them a mouth-watering flavor and taste.
But how long do Reese’s peanut butter cups last? Most Reese’s peanut butter cups will last from 6-24 months. The exact answer to this question depends on storage conditions; the cooler the storage area, the longer the shelf life. They also have an expiration date written on their package.
How Long Do Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Last? Shelf Life (Chart)
|Storage Method||Shelf Life|
|Pantry (unopened)||6-9 months|
How Can You Know the Expiration Date of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?
It’s disgusting to consume expired or spoilt peanut butter cups. For this reason, it’s advisable always to check whether your butter is still in perfect condition before buying or using it.
But how can you know the expiration date of this candy? Every Reese’s peanut butter cup package has an expiry date. This date is written or stamped in the form of a code on the wrapper.
This code is a number followed by a letter, for instance, 21F. The number refers to the year, while the letter refers to the month. So, 21 means 2021, and F = June, the sixth month and the alphabet’s sixth letter.
Therefore, when purchasing these Reese’s candies, ensure you check the code on the wrapper. If this code implies that the candy is past its prime, then don’t buy it. Even though you can continue enjoying this delicious candy after the expiry date, its freshness might not last for long.
Do Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Go Bad?
Yes. These candies can spoil after the ‘use by’ date elapses. Also, storage conditions and the ingredients used can contribute significantly to their lifespan.
Although it’s most likely that this peanut butter will be rancid a few days after the ‘use by date’ elapse, most people continue to consume the product even for months. The reason is that they don’t become stale immediately after the expiration. If stored properly and unopened, these candies can remain at peak quality four to six months after the expiration date.
If you store Reese’s peanut butter cup in extremely high temperatures, the chances of remaining fresh even for five days are minimal. When exposed to humidity, they can discolor and melt, making them unfit for consumption.
Also, ingredients like sugar and oils can make these candies rancid quickly. However, this depends on their exposure to light, humidity, or high temperatures.
It’s worthwhile to assess Reese’s peanut butter cup thoroughly before consumption as it’s sometimes hard to tell when it’s expired. However, this may not be the case with homemade ones with sugar and oil, as it’s effortless to notice when they are stale.
Consuming a rancid peanut butter cup is nauseating due to the off smell, odd taste, change of color, and molds’ presence. These signs can make the peanut’s general appearance dreadful and unappetizing.
Is It Healthy to Consume Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?
Yes. Reese’s peanut butter cups are healthy and nutritional. However, if you consume the spoilt ones, they may be harmful to your health.
The rancid Reese’s peanut butter cups contain molds and bacteria salmonella, which causes food poisoning.
When fresh, these candies are highly nutritious. The chocolate present in these candies is from cocoa beans which have high nutritional and medicinal value.
The beneficial properties of these cocoa beans include:
- Acts as a natural anti-inflammatory
- Acts as powerful antioxidants
- It contains vital minerals and vitamins.
Also, the milk present in Reese’s peanut butter cups contributes to several health benefits in your body:
- It’s a source of essential body minerals and vitamins.
- It provides calcium, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin A and D in the body.
- Source of protein and omega 3.
However, it’s good to be cautious when taking these candies due to the following reasons:
- They may cause allergies to people who are allergic to milk and peanut butter.
- They are not suitable for people who are lactose intolerant.
- They contain high sugar levels, which may be detrimental to your health. These sugars contain high calories, which can lead to unhealthy weight gain and many chronic diseases.
- These candies also contribute to high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes.
- They also cause tooth decay.
How Can You Store Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups?
Reese’s peanut butter cups’ shelf life depends to a large extent on how they are stored. They can last longer when in cool temperatures than when exposed to high temperatures. You can store these candies in the pantry, fridge, and freezer to maximize their lifespan.
1. In the Pantry
When unopened, Reese’s peanut butter cups can stay fresh in the pantry for six to nine months. However, if you open the wrappers, the best storage place is in the fridge or freezer. Opened peanut butter cups can only last for three to five days at room temperature.
2. In the Refrigerator
It’s advisable to store your peanut butter cups in the refrigerator when in humid environments. They will remain at peak quality for a period of nine to twelve months. When storing opened cups, ensure you put them in air-tight containers first. Alternatively, you can use heavy-duty plastic bags.
3. In the Freezer
Reese’s peanut butter cups will retain their quality for more than a year in the freezer. You should ensure they are in air-tight containers before popping them in the freezer. If frozen constantly at 0°F, these candies can maintain their quality for two years despite the expiry date.
- Reese’s peanut butter cups are among the top-selling candy brands globally due to their delectable flavor.
- Their lifespan depends on storage conditions and the ingredients used. However, most of them will remain fresh and high quality for six to twenty-four months.
- It’s easy to know their expiration period as every Reese’s peanut butter cup package has an expiry date written in the form of a code.
- These candies can spoil if stored at high temperatures or when exposed to humidity.
- They are healthy and nutritious but harmful for your health if you consume the rancid ones.
- You should store Reese’s peanut butter cups in a dry and cool environment to maximize their shelf life. The storage areas include the pantry, refrigerator, and freezer.