Celery juice has such a unique taste. The one that you can’t forget the first time you drank it. If you have a sweet tooth, you most likely may not enjoy the taste, but it gets better with time. The juice is naturally healthy as it is rich in potassium, calcium, vitamin A, C, and K. It’s refreshing when you take celery juice on an empty stomach in the morning, which will keep your body hydrated.
Celery juice is quite popular as it is linked with its health benefit. You can easily make the celery juice by chopping the stalks into small pieces, add purified water and then blend until smooth. You may add some other fruits like apples to improve the taste, but it’s optional.
That said, how long does celery juice last? As long as you keep your juice in a sealed container, it can last for 2-3 days, but it’s best to drink your celery juice immediately after you blend it. The juice can last for a day at room temperature, but you need to cover it.
How Long Does Celery Juice Last? (Chart)
|Storage Method||Shelf Life|
|In freezer||6 Months|
|In refrigerator||Up to 3 days|
|Room Temperature||24 hours|
Does Celery Juice Go Bad?
Yes, it does. Drinking sour celery juice will cause you bloating and may also result in throwing up. That is why it’s good to drink once you blend and not later than 24 hours, mostly if you leave it out at room temperature.
So how do you tell that your celery juice has gone bad? It’s simple, let’s explore:
1. Off smell: This is a clear indicator that your juice has already spoilt and you need to throw it away. You may sniff, or if you’re a bit sensitive to smell, you will not miss the sour smell that may feel like a beer.
2. Change in color: Your juice will discolor if you fail to drink when fresh. However, it might still be safe to drink, and you should not rule out spoilage unless you notice other spoilage indicators.
3. Mold: This happens when you leave out your juice for more hours without keeping it in the fridge. The juice will attract micro-bacteria and start growing molds. It would be best if you threw it away.
4. Strange taste: Celery juice may not have the sweetest flavor, but a spoilt one will taste awful. The kind of taste that will make you feel like spitting it. It would be best if you discarded it right away.
How Do You Store Celery Juice?
Whether homemade or store- purchased celery juice will go bad after some time. This is why it’s good to ensure you drink while fresh or store it properly for later use. The juice is filled with nutrients that decrease when you freeze it.
These storage tips will help you make better storage choices with all your juicing recipes. Storing your celery juice is also perfect as it can save you time whenever you are in a rush and need juice. So how do you ensure you store your juice properly?
- Ensure you store your celery juice in an airtight glass container. This will prevent exposure to air which increases the spoilage time.
- Store your celery juice immediately after you prepare to retain its quality.
- You might fill it up to the top to prevent exposure to oxygen.
- Add some little lemon or lime to minimize loss of nutrients. Citrus also helps to reduce oxidation. You can then refrigerate for 2- 3 days to keep your juice fresh and free from contamination.
- Freezing your juice is also safe. You can freeze for at least six months and ensure you avoid extending this time to prevent lost nutrients. Freezing your celery causes it to reduce its nutrients. The flavor and color also change with this option.
Is it Bad to Drink Celery Juice After 72 Hours?
Yes. You do not want to do this. No matter how tempting it might feel, it would be best if you threw your celery juice away. There are high chances of bacteria growth which can cause food poisoning. You might get an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting.
After 72 hours, your celery juice will have lost most of its nutrients. There will be no need to drink unhealthy and flat celery juice. It’s good to ensure you’re getting the most nutrients from your juicing.
Fresh celery is not sweet. Imagine drinking a tasteless juice that you kept in the fridge for more than 72 hours. The flavor is off, and so is the color. The best thing to do is throw it away and make a fresh one. It will keep you safe and leave you feeling refreshed.
How Do You Thaw Frozen Celery Juice?
Defrosting your celery juice is simple, but its best you do it right as the freezing option has already affected the texture, flavor, and color. Thawing can take 24 hours if you do it in the fridge. All you have to do is remove your frozen juice and place it in the lower areas of your fridge and remove it when fully thawed.
You can use your sink to defrost your celery juice. It can take 10-15 minutes. If you notice that it’s still frozen, you can pour hot water on the sides of the can to remove the ice.
Once you defrost your celery juice, drink it and avoid refreezing it as the quality has already been affected. Your concern should be based not only on safety alone but also on getting the best out of your juice. And what you require more is the nutrients.
- Celery juice is quite popular and rich in vitamins and nutrients. You can easily make the juice, and it’s optional to add apples to improve the taste.
- The juice can last for a day at room temperature, or you can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days to prevent spoilage.
- You can quickly tell that the juice is spoilt. You will notice an off smell, discoloration, stranger taste, and growth of molds. It’s good you discard it away as it can upset your stomach.
- Storing your celery juice well will make it stay fresh, free from contamination, and retain its quality for the next time you plan to consume it.
- You should avoid drinking your celery juice after 72 hours as it will have lost most of its nutrients and flavor.
- Thawing your frozen juice is simple. You can do it in the fridge overnight or in a sink. It’s also best to avoid refreezing your thawed celery juice.