Did you ever come back from the supermarket and wanted to enjoy fresh spring asparagus but so are so tired that you don’t want all the hassle to set them to boil or cook them in the oven?
Steaming asparagus using a microwave is the best option for cooking.
How long to microwave asparagus? Microwave thin and medium-sized asparagus for 3 minutes in the microwave which makes completely delicate and delicious asparagus without turning on the stove.
In spite of the multitude of ways we love to get ready crisp spring asparagus, microwave steaming may be the absolute best. Why bother cooking it when there was a lot simpler, faster, and less expensive method to make asparagus which is absolutely delightful as some other way to cook asparagus?
The Best Asparagus for Microwave Steaming
Any variety of asparagus can be used for microwave steaming of asparagus whether it is green or purple but we have to keep in mind that thicker stems will take time than any thinner ones. Medium and thin asparagus are the best ones for microwaving.
Why We Should Cook Asparagus in Microwave?
Beside that cooking asparagus in microwave takes less time, is faster, it also has following benefits over cooking it over on stove or in oven:
- Steaming asparagus in a microwave is pretty handy and convenient. Takes less time and you don’t have to worry about cleaning more dishes as it can be steamed in paper towels.
- Microwaving asparagus takes less supervision. You can just put it in the microwave, set a timer and let the microwave do its thing rather than cooking it on a stove where you have to be present almost all the time beside the pan to look after it.
- One says cooking in a microwave doesn’t give as delicious food as on a stove well that’s just a myth. It provides us as soft, tender asparagus as any method would do. It does not even lose nutrition. Research says microwaving green veggies actually increase the amount of antioxidants in them.
Things to Do Before Microwave Steaming Asparagus
- Always rinse your asparagus first and then cut the hard end as you would do for any other method.
- The paper towel to be used to wrap asparagus while steaming it should be damp not soaking. The extra amount of water in towels is just going to ruin the asparagus. Take 4 paper towels soak it in a quarter cup of water to make it damp and squeeze to remove extra water from it.
- While cooking asparagus better be rolled into a bundle as it would cook it evenly. Asparagus laid flat will just not cook so well.
- Always use tongs to remove asparagus from the microwave because it is going to be too damn hot, for sure.
How to Steam Asparagus in Microwave
Get ready to love asparagus even more, because it is going to be easier to cook even quick with the same tenderness and crisp.
Let’s take look at the process of steamed asparagus now:
Steamed Asparagus in the Microwave Recipe:
- Step1: Trim The Asparagus: trim at least 1-1.5 inches of woody asparagus from bottom of the stem. Rinse it well with water.
- Step 2: Damp The Paper Towel: damp the paper towels with at least ¼ cup of water. Squeeze to rinse off excess off water so it’s not dripping. Lay them flat one over the other. Put asparagus on it.
- Step 3: Seasoning: sprinkle salt on asparagus to give them salty taste
- Step 4 roll into a bundle: roll the asparagus into a bundle with a damp paper towel around it.
- Step 5: Microwave the Asparagus: put the bundle into the microwave, and cook on high for 3 minutes- keep looking for it doneness. It should be scrumptious and soft. If not done. Microwave it for another minute.
- Step 6: Remove Asparagus: remove asparagus from the oven using thongs because it would be super-hot.
- Step 7: Serving: serve steamed asparagus with a stroke of butter or some sauce.
|Type of Asparagus||Time taken to Microwave|
|Thin and medium sized||2-3 minutes|
|Little thick stems||steam for additional minute|
Steamed Asparagus Nutrition Value:
Why eat this healthy green vegetable? Here are a few great reasons to add this steamed asparagus to your weekly diet plan:
- Great source of fiber: Asparagus is a great source of fiber.
- High in protein for a green vegetable: Asparagus have high protein levels similar level to broccoli and potatoes and proteins are essential for body’s normal functioning.
- Can aid in eye and hair health: It helps improve eyesight and hair growth. It also tends to have anti-aging effects.
How Steamed Asparagus Can Be Served
- Steamed asparagus can be eaten with some butter or homemade sauce. Steamed asparagus is also an amazing constituent for salads, terrines or cold noodle bowls.
- You can also choose different ways such as with cheese. Gather some cheese, milk and a stick of butter. Melt butter in a microwave friendly pan and add a cup of milk and shredded cheese. Wait till it melts and cook it well to make an absolute sauce for asparagus to dip in.
- Another way can be to cook with ham and cheese. Wrap a slice of cheese and ham around your steamed asparagus. Put it in the microwave for another minute for the cheese to melt. Enjoy your ham and cheese steamed asparagus. Mayonnaise and honey would give it some additional savory taste, making it absolute appetizing for you.
- One can make lemon dressing for steamed asparagus or just top it lemon juice to make it a bit of a tangy taste.
- Add silver toasted almonds to get it crunchy.
Storage of Steamed Asparagus
Steamed asparagus can be stored in airtight container in fridge for over 5 days.
Asparagus is a healthy food choice you can always go for. Just because they are nutritious does not mean they cannot be delicious – it has to be made delicious. Asparagus are very easy to prepare, and you can even use paper towels when cooking in a microwave.