Toss them in your salad, cook them in soups or make deliciously spicy fritters; corn is the food loved by all because it is healthy and tasty! But, many of us have the patience of a hummingbird when it comes to food, and seeking quick ways to cook our food is our escape.
What if we tell you that you can magically cook your corn in no time in a microwave? Yes, you read that, right!
How long to microwave corn? If you cook a single ear of corn with the husk, it is best to microwave on a high setting for at least 3 to 4 minutes. However, it is best to set the time according to your microwave’s power and if you are planning to cook multiple corns in one go, then increase the time to 2 minutes for each ear of corn.
But wait! You cannot just go around shoving your corns in the microwave just like that. Some do’s, and don’ts knows and how’s that you should equip your mind with initially.
How to Microwave Corn – Things You Should Know
People like me love to binge eat once settled under a cozy warm blanket, with their favorite television series on. Still, simultaneously I would watch out for the extra calories that might be going inside me; I would like to keep my snack healthy. And, what is a more nutritious snack than an ear of corn?
But who has all the extra time to grill those beautiful kernels or cook them on the stovetop? Microwaving the corn is the go-to method?
Scroll down to know all the benefits of microwaving your corn!
- It Is Super Easy And Convenient: no new skills are required to be learned. I mean, we are just going to use a microwave, how hard can that be? Every one of us would have used it at least once in our lifetime. Furthermore, it saves from the hassle of dirty dishes, kitchen counters, and stovetops.
- Even A (Sensible) Kid Can Do It: I am not saying that you let your six-year-old use the microwave or handle hot stuff without supervision. But if taught and instructed properly than a sensible kid (over seven years of age), they can easily make their corns in the microwave giving some “me-time” to their mothers: making their mummy and tummy equally happy!
- Fewer Chances of Cooking the Corn Wrong:Compared to the stove, you have more control over the heat, power, and timing of the microwave. You can put your corn in there, set the required time, and go on doing some other work because, unlike your stove, the microwave will stop itself when the set time ends, which allows you to keep a check on your corn(s) so that you do not over-or undercook them, because we do not want our kernels burning, right?
- Short On Time? Microwave Corn to Your Rescue: people who have a full-time job can find it hard to take out much time cooking; hence microwave is usually their go-to solution. Because work can wait, hunger pangs cannot!
And Of course,
IT SAVES A LOT OF TIME!
Now that you are fully convinced that you will microwave corn on the cob, you need to learn how long to microwave to cook them perfectly!
How Long to Microwave Corn on the Cob – Get, Set, Go! [Chart]
Usually, the corn comes in three forms; canned corn, un-husked and husked, ear corn. Gladly, they all can be microwaved.
|CANNED CORN||HUSKED CORN||UNHUSKED CORN|
|TIME IN MICROWAVE (MINUTES)||1 cup: 1-2 minutes||One ear of corn: 3-4 minutes||One ear of corn: 2-3 minutes|
How Should You Microwave Corn:
- Drain the syrup in the can and put the kernels on a plate with a little water.
- Set the microwave to 1-2 minutes for 1 cup of canned corn.
- If there is more than 1 cup to cook, then increase the time by 1 minute for each cup that you add.
- For example, if 1 cup was cooked perfectly in 2 minutes, then for 2 cups, it will require 3 minutes in the microwave.
- Pro tip: make sure to use oven mittens because that plate is going to be hot!
- Place one ear of corn in the microwave; do not remove the husk!
- Husk allows entrapping the steam from the microwave and cooks the corn perfectly.
- Set the time for one ear of corn to 3-4 minutes.
- If you want to cook multiple ears of corn in one go, increase the two minutes for each ear that you add.
- Remove the corn with a damp cloth or oven mitten, with care.
- Let it cool slightly, and then gently slide the husk from the corn to remove it.
- And voila! You have the amazingly delicious kernels on the kitchen counter; use them in your cake or soup, or eat them as it is; they will taste equally good!
Corn That Have Husk and Silk Removed
- Put the ear of corns. Usually, two are preferred that have their husk and silk removed on a plate.
- Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of water into the plate.
- Cover the corns with another plate.
- As you have two corns’ ears, set the microwave for 5 minutes because one ear will take 2-3 minutes; hence, double the time.
- When they are done, take out the plate carefully.
Once you have your microwave corn ready, butter it and sprinkle it with some salt; there you have a delicious plate of snacks in front of you in literally 5 minutes!
Enjoy your hassle-free, on-the-go, delicious corn!