Apple is a common fruit that we like, it contains different properties and chemical compounds that are highly beneficial to the human body. An apple contains fibers, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
There are several places where apples grow around the world which is one of the reasons why it is among the most known fruits in the world. There is no continent, or country where you won’t see an apple, in countries where apples are not grown, the apples are transported there and this is where the weight of the apples come in.
Exporters, vendors, and other people involved in the apple business sell their products based on the weight of the apples, it is an effective way to determine the worth of the apple.
How much does an apple weigh? An apple weighs between 70 to 100 grams (0.154–0.220 lbs) on average.
There are different ways you can measure the weight of an apple, you can weigh it in pounds, kilos, ounces, and more. Also, there are different reasons why you can weigh your apples.
Things to Know when Weighing Apples
When it comes to weighing apples, there are different ways you can weigh them. You can measure the weight of a single apple or you can measure the weight of a bag.
Also, the weight of the apples varies, all apples don’t weigh the same. The weight of an apple depends on a wide range of factors both natural and man-induced.
Factors that Can Affect the Weight of Apples
- It is possible to weigh two apples from the same location and still have different weights, the genetics of each apple is a major factor that affects the weight. Genetics not only affects weight, but it can also affect the shape, size, color, and even the number of seeds.
- Most of the things that are determined by genetics directly affect the weight of your apple. Some apples have genes that allow them to grow to large sizes while some can only grow in a limited capacity. Of course, if you weigh both apples, the bigger one is likely to weigh more.
- This is another major factor that goes a long way in influencing the weight of your apples. Environmental factors include things like the amount of rainfall, soil type, soil nutrients, temperature, and so on. These environmental factors affect the apple tree, they determine if the tree will grow well and produce healthy apples.
- If the factors are favorable, the apples produced should be healthy and weigh reasonably, but if the factors are not favorable. For example, if there isn’t enough rainfall, it will affect the apple tree and thus the apples produced. As a result, they will be smaller or fewer than normal and if you weigh them. They won’t weigh the same as a healthy apple from a healthy tree.
- Humans also have the ability to influence the weight of apples. This usually applies to those responsible for cultivating them. Human activities go a long way in influencing nature. If the farmers don’t pay enough attention to the apple trees, it may produce apples that are below standard and they won’t measure up to the average weight an apple should be.
- However, if proper attention is paid to the trees by being watered as required, pruned, treated, and all the other activities that apple trees need, the apples will be healthier, bigger, and may weigh more. There are other things that we humans do that can affect the growth of apples and other trees: we can affect the soil, the atmosphere, and many more.
It is not possible for all apples to weigh the same, the factors listed above are but a few of the numerous things that affect the size, weight, color, and other properties of apples. Another factor is the location. It is very possible for apples from different locations to have different weights. This could be a result of the soil type, climate, and so on. So if you’re weighing your apples and you notice that they don’t all weigh the same don’t panic, it doesn’t mean the apples are bad or spoilt.
Weighing Your Apples
If you want to weigh your apples, there are different ways you can do it.
- Singularly: It is possible for you to measure the weight of a single apple, the first thing you need to do is check the unit of your scale. Due to the small size of a single apple, it will be easier for you to measure the weight in grams. Just place the apple on your scale and take the reading in grams. After, you can convert it to any other measuring unit that you would like.
- Groups or bags: This method is mostly employed when measuring a large number of apples. It is used mostly by traders, as it is a faster and easier to do. You can use a regular scale for this, and if you want to know the exact weight of one apple with this method all you need to do is know the number of apples inside the bag and use it to divide the weight of the whole bag.
A lot of people may be wondering why they will want to measure an apple, but this is an important thing for farmers selling apples or if you’re just watching your diet.
Apples are highly nutritional, and they are available around the world. The difference in growth location can cause the weight of the apples to differ, environment and genetics also affect it.