Sandwiches originated as a convenient way to consume a nutrient-enriched meal on-the-go. A typical sandwich can contain a combination of different types of cheeses, meats, vegetables and condiments between two pieces of bread.
While the sandwich comes from the Western world, this infamous finger food has now become a staple of different food cultures worldwide.
Here is our list of the most popular sandwiches – the possibilities are endless!
1. American Sandwich
The American Sandwich is a popular choice on most deli menus and can contain a variety of different meats and cheeses.
- Recommended meats: Bologna, Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey
- Recommended cheeses: American, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Onion, Tomato
The tasty flavor of the American Sandwich is usually determined by multiple types of delicious deli meats. Bologna and ham are an integral part of the sandwich as the pork provides a distinct flavor.
In addition to the meat, various cheeses and different vegetables provide flexibility for how the sandwich is built. While most American Sandwiches include American cheese as an option, Swiss and Mozzarella cheeses can also be great additions!
2. BLT Sandwich
A BLT Sandwich is named for the initials of its main three ingredients: bacon, lettuce and tomato.
- Recommended meats: Bacon
- Recommended cheeses: Cheddar
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Tomato
The BLT Sandwich has grown in popularity over the years as we try to find a healthier way to include bacon in our diets. While bacon is surely the iconic ingredient of the sandwich, the inclusion of lettuce and a tomato are just as important.
The sandwich can easily be enhanced by toasting the bread or including a condiment like mayonnaise. For more of a healthier option, try incorporating turkey bacon or even tofu, as the main protein.
3. Bologna Sandwich
A traditional bologna sandwich is a more common sandwich found in the United States and Canada.
- Recommended meats: Bologna
- Recommended cheeses: American, Cheddar, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Onion, Pickle, Tomato
Bologna, or cooked sausage, is a processed lunch meat that contains a higher level of sodium and more fat than other meats. While the fat helps enhance the flavor of the meat, most Bologna Sandwiches incorporate vegetables to help improve the nutrient profile.
Actually, regulations in the United States require American bologna to be finely ground, limiting the visibility of fat in the meat.
4. Cheese Sandwich
While cheese is normally used as a component for most sandwiches, it can also be featured as the main staple in a Cheese Sandwich!
- Recommended cheeses: American, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Swiss
Other ingredients like vegetables, mayonnaise or butter can be added to a Cheese Sandwich to improve the flavor profile.
A Cheese Sandwich is a quick and easy option to serve for almost any occasion. While the sandwich seems simple, selecting different types of breads can create unique combinations which can help appeal to almost any palate.
5. Cheesesteak Sandwich
A Cheesesteak Sandwich, also known as a Philly cheesesteak, is made from thinly sliced beefsteak with melted cheese.
- Recommended meats: Beefsteak (Ribeye or Flank steak)
- Recommended cheeses: American, Cheese Whiz, Cheddar, Provolone, Mozzarella
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Peppers, Onions
While a typical Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is known to be served on a long “hoagie” roll, it still considered a sandwich. Cheesesteaks are a popular item among many restaurants and food carts.
The sandwich can easily be upgraded by using a higher quality meat, such as ribeye. A ribeye steak is a higher quality cut that is able to retain its incredible juicy flavor even when cooked at a high temperature.
6. Chicken Salad Sandwich
Typically made with leftover cooked or canned chicken, a Chicken Salad Sandwich unites chopped chicken with a binder, such as mayonnaise, salad dressing or cream cheese.
- Recommended meats: Chicken
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Avocado, Celery, Grapes, Green Apple, Lettuce, Onion, Tomato
A chicken salad really just refers to any salad with chopped chicken. Most mixtures of chicken salad include chopped up celery and mayonnaise. As long as there is a binding ingredient, the chicken salad should hold up well in a sandwich.
The Chicken Salad Sandwich is usually easy to consume because the chicken meat can be eaten cold. Because chicken salad does not need to be heated up, a Chicken Salad Sandwich can be a great food to serve large groups of people.
7. Cuban Sandwich
A traditional Cuban Sandwich is usually ham, roast pork and cheese made on Cuban bread, which is similar to panini bread.
- Recommended meats: Ham, Roast Pork, Salami
- Recommended cheeses: Swiss
When preparing, the loaf of Cuban bread can be coated with a thin layer of butter or olive oil. Next, mustard is spread on the bread, followed by layering roast pork, glazed ham and sometimes, salami. Finally, Swiss cheese and pickles are added to successfully complete the traditional ingredients of the Cuban sandwich.
Once made, the entire sandwich is toasted in order to achieve a crispy taste and then cut into diagonal halves.
8. Egg Sandwich
As one of the most popular breakfast sandwiches, an Egg Sandwich can include meats such as bacon, sausage or pork roll.
- Recommended meats: Bacon, Pork Roll, Sausage
- Recommended cheeses: American, Cheddar, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Avocado, Tomato
Egg Sandwiches can not only be served with a variety of meats, but they also can be made on several types of breads. To name a few, Egg Sandwiches can be made on bagels, wraps, toast, or English muffins.
The sandwich can also be enhanced with several condiments, such as ketchup, hot sauce, salt and/or pepper.
9. Fried Chicken Sandwich
A Fried Chicken Sandwich is a common menu item found at many fast-food restaurants.
- Recommended meats: Chicken
- Recommended cheeses: Monterey Jack, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Pickle, Tomato
Fried Chicken Sandwich is one of the more popular sandwiches choices as it also includes chicken cutlet sandwiches as well. Chicken goes great with different types of cheeses and tastes great with lettuce, tomato and onion. Fried Chicken Sandwiches are also easy to reheat.
Numerous condiments complement fried chicken quite well, such as but not limited to barbecue sauce, buffalo sauce, honey mustard sauce, Polynesian sauce and sriracha sauce.
10. Greek Gyros
Greek Gyros contain meat that was cooked on a vertical rotisserie and served in pita bread along with various other vegetables.
- Recommended meats: Gyro meat (lamb, beef, chicken, pork)
- Recommended cheeses: Feta
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Cucumber, Lettuce, Onion, Tomato
Greek gyros are widely considered a fast-casual food. In Greece, it is common to see pork or chicken meat used in gyros. While lamb and beef are more commonly used for gyro meat in other countries.
To enhance gyros, ingredients such as fried potatoes or tzatziki are used. Tzatziki is made of diluted yogurt mixed with cucumbers, garlic, olive oil and salt.
11. Grilled Cheese
Grilled Cheese is a hot sandwich that is made by heating multiple slices of cheese between two pieces of bread.
- Recommended cheeses: American, Brie, Cheddar, Fontina, Gouda, Havarti, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Provolone
The key to a successful Grilled Cheese Sandwich is heating the sandwich long enough for the cheese to melt and for the bread to brown. They are a popular sandwich served as a snack or during lunch.
A Grilled Cheese Sandwich can be accompanied with french fries, a salad or a soup.
12. Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Substituting grilled chicken for fried chicken is a healthier way to enjoy a chicken sandwich.
- Recommended meats: Chicken (served with bacon)
- Recommended cheeses: Blue cheese, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Provolone, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Avocado, Basil pesto, Lettuce, Pickles, Tomato
Typically, the chicken used for a Grilled Chicken Sandwich consists of a boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh. In the United States, it is called a Chicken Sandwich, but in Australia or New Zealand, it is actually called a Chicken Burger.
A Grilled Chicken Sandwich can be enjoyed with the same condiments used for a Fried Chicken Sandwich. It is usually complemented with vegetables like avocado, lettuce or a tomato.
13. Ham Sandwich
The Ham Sandwich is one of the oldest sandwiches, originating on the street’s of London back in the 1850s.
- Recommended meats: Ham
- Recommended cheeses: Cheddar, Gorgonzola, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Pickle, Onion, Tomato
A Ham Sandwich can be made with fresh or toasted bread. It is a common sandwich featured in a packed lunch. Not only is this sandwich cost-effective, but it is very easy to make.
Several surveys show that in the United Kingdom, the Ham Sandwich is considered to be the most commonly served sandwich.
14. Ice Cream Sandwich
The Ice Cream Sandwich is the featured dessert sandwich on this list, that consists of ice cream between two pieces of biscuits, wafers or cookies.
- Recommended ice cream: Chocolate, Cookie Dough, Mint, Oreo, Strawberry, Vanilla
While the Ice Cream Sandwich is not a typical sandwich that you would order at a deli or bring for lunch, it is the most popular way to enjoy a sandwich for dessert! Different toppings like chocolate chips or sprinkles can be added to the ice cream to alter the appearance or create additional sweetness.
Since ice cream is involved, Ice Cream Sandwiches will be need to be stored in the freezer.
15. Italian Sandwich
A Italian Sandwich is filled with cured meats and is one of the most traditional sandwiches when serving a large number of people.
- Recommended meats: Capicola, Mortadella, Pepperoni, Salami, Soppressata
- Recommended cheeses: Provolone, Mozzarella
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Onion, Peppers, Tomato
The Italian Sandwich is filled with many different components of meats, cheeses and vegetables. When arranging an Italian sandwich, it is recommended to put the heavy items like meat and cheese on the bottom of the sandwich for support.
It is common for Italian Sandwiches to made several ways depending on the available meats and cheeses. A traditional Italian Sandwich usually does not contain turkey.
16. Lobster Roll
Despite being called a roll, a Lobster Roll is an indeed a sandwich that includes delicious and healthy lobster meat.
- Recommended meats: Lobster
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Celery, Lettuce, Scallion
There are two different types of lobster rolls: Maine Lobster Roll and Connecticut Lobster Roll. A Maine Lobster Roll is most traditional, served cold with a light coating of mayonnaise and chopped celery. A Connecticut Lobster Roll is served with warm lobster meat, toasted bun and melted butter.
Lobster Rolls are a seasonal item as their availability depends on the location and time of the year.
17. Meatball Sandwich
Meatballs Sandwiches provide a convenient way to enjoy meatballs on-the-go!
- Recommended meats: Ground meat (beef, pork, turkey)
- Recommended cheeses: Asiago, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Provolone
There are many types of meatballs made with unique combinations of ground meat. Italian-American meatballs are usually ground beef mixed with pork with added spices to provide additional flavor.
A Meatball Sandwiches usually includes red marinara sauce and cheese, which is called Meatball Parmigiana Sandwiches.
18. Nutella Sandwich
Nutella is a brand of hazelnut cocoa spread that can be used to make sandwiches. Just add some bananas and berries!
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Bananas, Berries
Many people cannot resist the sweet taste of Nutella. It is a great spread to help incorporate additional fruits into anyone’s diet. Nutella incorporates several ingredients within the spread: sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, milk, cocoa, lecithin and vanillin.
A Nutella Sandwich unites the sweetness of a dessert topping with the flexibility and ease of a sandwich.
19. Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
A Peanut Butter & Jelly or “PB&J” sandwich is made with peanut butter and fruit preserves (jelly) – spread on bread.
- Recommended Jam & Jellies: Grape, Raspberry, Strawberry
Peanut Butter sandwiches are extremely popular in the United States, especially among children. It is actually estimated that the average child will consume 1,000-1,500 PB&J sandwiches by the time they graduate high school, provided that they are not allergic.
To avoid having the bread become soggy from the jelly, it is recommended to spread the peanut butter on both sides of the bread prior to applying the jelly.
20. Reuben Sandwich
Known well in North America, the Reuben Sandwich is made with corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut with either Thousand Island dressing or Russian dressing.
- Recommended meats: Corned Beef, Pastrami
- Recommended cheeses: Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Sauerkraut
Rye bread is the preferred choice of bread for a traditional Reuben Sandwich. Reuben Sandwiches also go great with a pickle on the side!
While the Reuben Sandwich is associated with kosher-style delis, the sandwich is actually not considered kosher because its combines cheese and meat.
21. Roast Beef Sandwich
A Roast Beef Sandwich contains cold roast beef meat either from a leftover meal or delicatessen meat.
- Recommended meats: Roast Beef
- Recommended cheeses: Cheddar, Havarti, Muenster, Pepper Jack, Provolone, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Onion, Peppers, Tomato
Roast Beef Sandwiches date back to 1877, built off of the “beefsteak toast” recipe – cold beef, bread & gravy dish. Roast Beef Sandwiches can be served hot or cold. A traditional roast beef sandwich is usually served cold with lettuce and tomato.
Compared to most deli meats, roast beef is usually a more expensive cut.
22. Seafood Sandwich
A Seafood Sandwich is any kind of sandwich made with components of seafood.
- Recommended seafood: Cod, Crab, Flounder, Salmon, Shrimp, Tilapia
- Recommended cheeses: American, Cheddar, Gouda
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Lettuce, Tomato, Onion Relish, Pickle
Seafood Sandwiches are a healthy and fun way to incorporate fish in to almost any diet. Seafood can be prepared fried, baked, steamed or seared.
In Britain, a fish finger sandwich is considered to be a comfort food.
23. Tuna Sandwich
A Tuna Sandwich is made from canned tuna as well as mayonnaise. Variations include a tuna boat or tuna melt which has melted cheese.
- Recommended tuna: Albacore Tuna
- Recommended cheeses: American, Cottage, Pepper Jack, White Cheddar
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Apples, Celery, Corn, Cucumber, Lettuce, Onion, Pickle, Tomato
While mayonnaise is one of the primary ingredients for a Tuna Sandwich, other ingredients such as celery or onion can also be included.
According to National Fisheries Institute, in the United States, more than half of tuna sandwiches are made with canned tuna.
24. Turkey Sandwich
- Recommended meat: Turkey (served with bacon)
- Recommended cheeses: Cheddar, Colby Jack, Gouda, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Provolone, Swiss
- Recommended fruits/vegetables: Avocado, Bean Sprouts, Cucumber, Lettuce, Onion, Peppers, Tomato
A Turkey Sandwich can be made with leftover turkey dinner meat or with delicatessen meat. In the United States, this sandwich is a popular leftover option after the Thanksgiving holiday.
The best kind cheese for a turkey sandwich is one that melts easily when serving a Turkey Sandwich hot.
25. Vegetable Sandwich
Vegetable Sandwiches are a great option for vegetarians and are served worldwide.
- Recommended vegetables: Arugula, Avocado, Beans, Cabbage, Carrot, Cucumber, Eggplant, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Onion, Peppers, Pickle, Spinach, Tomato, Zucchini
- Recommended cheeses: Cheddar, Cream Cheese, Feta, Goat Cheese, Pepper Jack, Provolone, Swiss
Whether you are planning a party or serving lunch, Vegetable Sandwiches can appeal to many people.
Not only are Vegetable Sandwiches healthy, but they can be easily prepared with many different types of vegetables.